Mission & Station
Guided by your aspirations, WSKG serves to inspire with the highest quality educational programming, explore the arts, culture and heritage of the region and beyond, engage in thoughtful consideration of news and issues of importance, and entertain with the very best in multimedia programming.
WSKG: striving to be your trusted partner, enriching the lives of the people and communities we serve.
At WSKG we strongly value:
- Diversity: in opinion, thought and culture.
- Creativity and Innovation: in thinking, programming, and content development.
- Integrity: in how we conduct our business, in the programming we create.
- Courage: to be different, accept failure, to take a stand.
- Transparency: to open the activities of the station to public inquiry.
- Accountability: in all our actions.
- Open Mindedness: in how we approach issues and opinions.
- Responsiveness: to community interests, needs and new ideas
These values help us to clearly define our mission as an organization serving our community.
- Implement new organizational focus on four content focus areas, or Content Verticals, of Arts & Culture, News & Public Affairs, History & Heritage, and Youth Focused.
- Develop funding models to support the Content Verticals content development and programming.
- Connect community with our programming and services.
WSKG is operated by WSKG Public Telecommunications Council, a private non-profit corporation chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York in association with the New York State Department of Education, and provides a public educational telecommunications service under the governance of a Board of Trustees which is selected from the communities served by the Station.
WSKG is a community licensee and is authorized by the FCC to operate television and radio broadcasting services.
WSKG is located at 601 Gates Road, Suite 4, Vestal, NY 13850.
WSKG provides a public broadcasting service to residents of the Station’s coverage area. To accomplish this WSKG produces programs locally and purchases programs from Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), American Public Television (APT), National Public Radio (NPR), and American Public Media, Public Radio International and others. WSKG then promotes these programs to the public through this web site, email, other publications, use of the stations’ own air time, and through other media.
WSKG seeks educational, social and cultural concerns to address through public telecommunications in cooperation with others… and does so through the Community Advisory Board, featuring listeners & viewers from various communities in WSKG’s coverage area.
WSKG covers 21 counties in New York and Pennsylvania.
WSKG frequencies are 89.3fm in Binghamton, 90.9fm in Ithaca/Watkins Glen, 88.7fm in Hornell/Alfred, 91.1fm in Corning/Elmira, 91.7fm in Oneonta/Cooperstown, and 89.9fm in Odessa. WSKG Classical frequencies are 91.5fm in Binghamton, 92.1fm in Ithaca, 105.9fm in Cooperstown, 88.1fm in Greene/Norwich and 90.7fm in Corning.
WSKG TV broadcasts on Channels 46.1 and 30.1 and on Channel 1221 on most Time Warner Cable systems. WSKG World broadcasts on Channels 46.2 and 30.2 and on Channel 1275 on most Time Warner Cable systems. WSKG Create broadcasts on Channels 46.3 and 30.3 and on Channel 1276 on most Time Warner Cable systems.
Radio stations WSKG and WSKG Classical are available for online livestreaming 24/7 via WSKG.org, and our locally-produced radio shows are available online on-demand, as well. You can access WSKG and WSKG Classical on your mobile device via the free NPR One app, available in app stores. Many of WSKG TV Original Productions are available on the WSKG Video Portal. Receive updates, info and interact with the station on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram @WSKGpubmedia) and Pinterest or via our online contact form.