New York commits $1 million to Steuben County flood relief
BINGHAMTON, NY (WSKG)—New York will allocate $1 million to homeowners in Steuben County to repair flood damage.
The funding comes after flooding caused by Tropical Storm Fred damaged hundreds of homes in August.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) denied New York's repeated requests for individual disaster aid for residents in Steuben and neighboring counties.
"The flooding from Tropical Storm Fred last year continues to impact Steuben County residents and this funding will provide important aid to eligible homeowners," Governor Kathy Hochul said in a statement Friday. "As climate change increases the frequency and strength of storms, New York will remain committed to helping hard-working families repair their homes while building our resiliency for the future."
Homeowners can apply for money to cover the cost of emergency repairs, including any electrical, heating and plumbing work needed to make homes safe and inhabitable again.
Households may receive up to $35,000. Applicants must earn at or below 90 percent of the area median income.
Residents can apply with the Corning-based non-profit Arbor Housing and Development, which will administer the funds online or by calling 607-654-7478.
CEO Susan Bull said the non-profit already has a long waitlist for aid.
"Which is fantastic, because to us, that's the documented unmet need," Bull said.
The organization will work from the waitlist, but Bull encouraged any resident with questions about the flood repairs to call for help.